Why don’t you watch the French SF TV series?
Do you learn French and want to progress your listening skills?
So why not watch a TV show in French?
If you imagine the French series are boring, you should know that this is not always true.
You can discover interesting TV miniseries on the Arte channel.
Do you know Arte?
French SF series
Transfers includes six episodes of about an hour and was broadcast on November 16 and 23, 2017. This series was awarded the prize for the best francophone series at the last festival Mania Series.
In the near future, the transfer of mind from a body to another body has become possible. After 5 years of coma, Florian, a father, wakes up in the body of Sylvain, a police officer who fights against illegal « transfers ».
Taboo of immortality, search for identity
The hero’s search for his identity, whose body and mind do not agree, could be a question that anyone could ask at least once in life : “Who am I? “. And this story shows the obsession with immortality and the taboo in medicine and science. This fact highlights today the moral problems caused by remarkable technological progress.
Sublime atmosphere and transparent bluish image
We can get sense of reality because of futuristic, but realistic buildings and tools,. This allows viewers to put themselves in the characters’ shoes. We can also enjoy the beauty of the scenes with the bluish colors that give transparency to monotone landscapes.
The fact that the episodes ends neither good nor bad gives an European spirit different from Hollywood. If you want to see a series with another flavor, Transfers, a series with a good quality scenario and a beautiful setting, is perfect for discovering European productions.
Transfers is available for free on the official website Arte until 16/12/2017. Don’t miss it!
Trepalium is another series of French anticipation broadcast on Arte in February 2016. It takes its name from the Latin name of an instrument of torture that gave the word « travail (work) » in French. Trepalium was selected and presented out of competition at the La Rochelle TV Fiction Festival in September 2015.
Dystopia is getting closer to our world
A world of unemployment, precariousness and inequality is not a situation that can only be found in dystopian movies. Trepalium presents a dark and negative side of contemporary society.
The story goes in the near future in which the population is split in two by a wall. 20% of assets in the « Ville (City) », on the other hand, 80% of unemployed locked up in the « Zone ».
The assets seem privileged and assured of a comfortable life. But they fear being fired. Even their children are not exempt from this elitist system.
When you have finished watching this series, you will have a moment to question yourself : how to live, love, work, raise our children in such a world?
What this story wanted to show us was that work undoubtedly leads to suffering?
What is wrong is not the work itself, neither the elites, neither the woman who chose to prostitute herself in the Zone, neither the world where only the work value counts, but the real trepalium would be to be forced to work.
Trepalium DVDs are available on Amazon or at Fnac stores.